Thursday, June 19, 2008

Amanda Marks Exhibition
The Palm House Gallery, Sydney May 2008.


I recently photographed a retrospective exhibition of Amanda Marks’ paintings. Amanda passed away tragically in October 2007. She was a close friend of Cyndi my wife, and over the years we collected many of her paintings. The exhibition opened on a lovely autumn afternoon at the Palm House Gallery in Sydney’s beautiful Botanical gardens. About two hundred of the family’s friends attended the opening which was launched by one of Australia’s best known artists, Elizabeth Cummings.


Amanda, my sister and friend
As the days pass I miss your beautiful warm voice on the phone.
Your colourful presence appearing at my front door.
Our special lunches with smoked salmon, sourdough bread and Sicilian olives.

You always knew where to find the best of everything.
You discovered the most wonderful cafes, the best biscuits, the best bread,
the most delicious pizza.
Meetings with you were always a movable feast that tantalised the senses.

You introduced me to heartfelt poetry, soulful music and inspiring books.
You opened my eyes to the work of your favourite artists.
You guided me through exhibitions revealing details I would never have seen.
These were some of the gifts that you gave me.


I am surrounded by your paintings,
Shining in every room of our house.
Your vibrant colours, your subtle brushstrokes, your distinctive marks
And your unique vision of the world.
Looking at your paintings, you continue to teach me.

Amanda-you are a beautiful woman
You loved to dress up and adored collecting
exotic clothes in bright colours, silk, velvet and rich textures.
Generous to the extreme, you gave me your pyjamas when mine fell apart.
You were always happy to celebrate and encourage your friends.

Most of all Natasha, your Mum adored you.
You delighted her in every way.
Mum was amazed by your loving nature, your sweetness, intelligence and creativity.
She will love you always
And we will remember her forever as a shining light
who blessed our lives with beauty, friendship and love.


Cyndi Kaplan-Freiman



No comments: